Monday, November 30, 2015

Artifact Bags

Image result for artifact

        Recently, we used artifact bags in class to expand on our unit topics. My topic was the thirteen colonies, so I made my artifact bag on the Massachusetts Colony. I included items that would help the examiner determine that these items all came from the Massachusetts Colony. I included a picture of a church, furs, fishing hooks, a photo of John Winthrop, and John Winthrop's signature. Unfortunately, I did not have the resources to make my artifact authentic, so they were all on printer paper. I wish that I had the time to find ways to make my artifacts more authentic. Many of my artifacts would not have been difficult to do.

        I liked using the artifact bag activity and I could definitely see myself using in in my future classroom. It allows students to explore social studies in a hands on way. I could use this activity to explore certain social studies topics or I could use it as a get to know the students activity at the beginning of the year. I could have each of the students make an artifact bag that they feel represents themselves and we could go through each bag and guess who it is. This would be a fun way for me to get to know my students and a fun way for them to get to know each other.

1 comment:

  1. In my blog I also talked about how this could be a great get to know you activity. Like you said, I really think the students would have a great time trying to figure out whose bags is whose. I agree that I wish we had more time to gather artifacts because I felt our class bags would have been more creative and engaging.

    ReplyDelete